EHDD day 3

Posted on 10:42 PM by justin | 0 comments

Today I had lunch with my mentor at this place called universal cafe. I got this flatbread with goat cheese and tomato sauce on it which was essentially a really crunchy pizza. It was really good and was paid by EHDD which made it even better. I also got a dessert called strawberry pomegranate granati (i think) which had this shave ice thing on top of home made whipped cream with two shortbread cookie on the side. it was definitely the best part of my day. But it was kinda awkward when the waitress brought it out with two spoon assuming that me and my mentor are sharing it...
Conversation wise, he talked to me about his experience with the profession which is actually in its beginning stage also. He told me he went to University of Michigan for both undergrad and grad school and is very satisfied with working at EHDD. I asked him questions regarding the work field, he asked me questions about berkeley architecture program. nothing really stood out as a memorable topic but i was slightly shocked at how comfortable and happy he is at where he is in life. and that got me doubting if i will EVER be this happy with what i do. I am doing design because i like it and i'm good at it, but i will never be content with working as a standard architect at a good firm. I want to do projects without a budget and i want people to recognize my buildings, to study them, to be inspired by them.
I spent the rest of the day making a presentation on the"product of the week" which is Terrawalk, a rubber sidewalk material made from recycled tire. Everyone great architect in history has sat where i sat today RIGHT? Mr. Clooney said so.

i wake up at 7 am and leave the firm at 6 pm.
16th mission is actually a pretty dope place. a lot of studio space converted from factories and a lot of surprises like this.





0 comments:

Post a Comment